Many Christians know that they can’t live a joyful and successful life if they don’t endure, persevere or press forward. Whether it is praying, studying the Word of God, winning souls or loving others, we can’t reap the promised benefits if we don’t keep at it. However, we shouldn’t make the mistake of thinking we can persevere by own power. We need the persevering grace. I like how Eugene Peterson puts it: “Perseverance is not the result of our determination, it is the result of God’s faithfulness.” May we receive the grace to keep pressing forward until we reach the end of the race. Let me end this nugget with my best ten quotes on perseverance:
1. “But he who endures to the end, the same will be saved.” ~ Jesus Christ
2. “By persistence the snail reached the ark.” ~ Charles H. Spurgeon
3. “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” ~ Scripture
4. “Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance.” ~ Samuel Johnson
5. “Be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” ~ Scripture
6. “All things are possible to him who believes, yet more to him who hopes, more still to him who loves, and most of all to him who practices and perseveres in these three virtues.” ~ Brother Lawrence
7. “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.” ~ Scripture
8. “Perseverance is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with absolute assurance and certainty that what we are looking for is going to happen.” ~ Oswald Chambers.
9. “Endurance is a key indicator of spiritual fitness.” ~ Alistair Begg
10. “Press forward. Do not stop, do not linger in your journey, but strive for the mark set before you.” ~ George Whitefield.
See Tosin’s book here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/ B071RXVMHR